Well, I called the few places I applied for last week and got all the same "we'll take your number and call you back" bullshit. It was mostly from this one veterinary clinic that I really want to get hired from. I'm going to call them tomorrow and continue until they tell me to stop or that I'm hired.
I guess this is what I get.
I wasn't aware the economy was so bad when I quit my job with the cat hospital in August. I was working there for two years, had two raises under my belt, a key to the hospital.. it was really awesome, you know.
But the doctor that worked there kept allowing people to dump off cats on the hospital. People would abandon them in front of the door in carriers or clients who wished to put their cat to sleep would be talked into turning their cat over to the hospital to take care of. We went from 70 cats when I first started to 106 when I quit.
This is in a small building.
106 cats running around freely!!
And the techs were expected to get to work at 5:30AM (we came in from 4-5am even though they bitched about clocking in early --- we couldn't get work done any other way) and leave at 2PM with a ridiculous amount completed between only two people.
They were insane.
They wanted most of everything done by 9AM for when the doctor came in and two people just weren't enough.
I know the intentions are great there and I admire the hospital, I miss it so much, too, but..
the doctor comes in every single day and takes no salary. she comes in at 9AM and leaves by 1 or 2AM the same night.
In all the two years I worked there, the doctor did not take a day off.
So with things being so inefficient as they were, the doctor was naturally very stressed. She'd get into fights or yell or break down here and there but..
I did a groom in July. It's called a lion cut and we shave the hair off the cat in a style that leaves a "mane," the tail (or a pom-tail), and the arms and legs (or boots) to look like a lion. The doctor was in a room gowned up with an infectious cat (meaning: unless you gown up, don't go in) and it was past 2PM. This is when the second shift comes in and bitch about the things the first shift hasn't been able to get through with, the things the doctor should've had done already, and the main night shift secretary (which is like also our payroll manager) complains about us being late to clock out.
So, anyway, as it goes... I cut the lion cut. The skin. On accident, of course! So, like you have to do as a technician, I record it in the chart.
It's past 2PM still.
The cat is waking up and I'm finished.
So I leave.
I get a text from one of the girls at night asking if I glued the cat.
I'm like... what the hell?
I don't even answer it. Fuck Faye. This coworker's "best friend" that got fired a few months before then was the reason I was carrying pepperspray at work.
I come in the next day to get a baby explanation of what glue does to a cat's body if put on a cut. I'm like... yes. I know that.
So then the doctor asks,
"If you know that, why did you glue the cat?"
"I didn't glue the cat."
My only fault was not telling them that I cut them. It was a minimal cut and the doctor wouldn't have done anything anyway.
She tells me she won't fire me or get mad if I admit it.
I can't believe this. I wasn't admitting something I didn't do.
So she starts yelling.
I've had her yell at me before. I've been called a fucking idiot by her before and I stayed.
This time she yells at me if I liked my job. She asks if I want to keep it and she calls me a fucking liar.
Then she says I'm in big trouble and leaves. I didn't yell back at her once.
So the next day I gave her my two weeks and I was out by August 1st.
I loved my job.
I told her that I was leaving because I was unhappy.
I didn't tell her she chased me out. I didn't tell her that when I was being threatened by Mary, nothing was done. I didn't tell her I got harassing texts from Faye.
She didn't ask me to stay.
I didn't come back to ask to stay.
So here I am, almost November 1st and I'm still without a job.
I loved that fucking cat hospital.
I got four cats from there.
Speaking of cats... I have eight.
Yeah.
I think this post is insanely long as it is, but... I'll list them here anyway.
Flower - She's the oldest of all the cats and my first cat. She's close to 15. We got her when she was four and she was and still is a scaredy cat. She lives in only one room of any place we've lived and she's always lived with my grandma. I guess she's my grandma's cat now. She's a dilute torti breed and fat. And really cute, but with an annoying meow.
Kaichan - I got her with Yuki on my 15th birthday. She's five now and a dark torti. She's a polydactyl (aka she has thumbs on her front paws!). I almost lost her the first week of having her due to distemper but I stayed awake in a guest room for two weeks with minimal sleep doing around the clock meds. With a 10% survival chance by three vets, Kaichan's come out strong! She's a little doofy sometimes and we blame that on the bad fevers she used to get.
Lil-Bit - Lil-Bit is the bitch. She's my cat and she lets everyone know that. She's a long legged torti and now has diabetes. We give her insulin shots twice a day and she doesn't like anyone else too much but tolerates them fine and well. She's nine.
Mop - Mop! Mop!!! I got him from the cat hospital. He's five or six (probably seven) and white with four giant brown spots along his body. He's like a little cow!! He was either hit very bad with a baseball bat or a car and hates most men (he used to growl and hiss at the delivery men that came into the clinic). His face is paralyzed on one side because of this accident (and earmites! and there were maggots in his ear eating down to his jowl.. it was so sweet. I wish I had seen it) and one of his ears droops and one eye can't shut completely.
Nicole Michelle (Nicki) - Another from the hospital. Nicki was a two month old kitten with a broken arm. Because of the way of the break, we suspected that someone had done this to her so the hospital kept her (which was fine because the person who brought her in just brought her in because Nicki was in their backyard). So then I kept her. She's a siamese mix. Fluffy. Only a year and a half.
Sasha - The first from the clinic. Two weeks in and I was in love. She's semi-feral, which doesn't mean she's wild and threatening. She's just very scared of humans and so is awfully cautious. She loves my grandma a lot for some reason and will come see her on her bed, sleep with her, whatever. She does that from time to time for mom but never me. Ugh! So frustrating. Another siamese mix. Fluffier. Darker blue eyes than Nicki. She's two years old.
Sheba - The last from the hospital, she's seven months old. She's the most emotional demon I've ever had. She has mood swings, she does the things she wants to do, and she screams at you if you don't do what she wants. She's the most evil kitten I've ever seen and I've worked for two years at a cat hospital that takes cats that other places refuse to take because of how awful they are. Yeah. She's gray and stripey and cute as hell. But a super demon. What a hellion.
Yuki - She's my five year old black-and-white kitty. She was adopted with Kaichan and was healthy as a fiddle. She has a fetish for feathers and bells, and jumping for toys. She loves mom a lot and is usually very shy.
And that's that.
There are my babies.
Then there's Missy, my 4ft green iguana of nine years. I've had her all nine and she's so sweet. :D She's potty trained and lives on top of an old computer desk that we just couldn't get rid of. The other cats come up and sleep with her under her lamp. Yuki and her are best friends.
So there we go!
In other news: I don't fucking know what to write about tomorrow. It'll just be a surprise. I'm calling the other clinic again tomorrow to let them know I'm still interested, though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

*steals yer kittehs* I wouldn't have been so quiet with the doctor, knowing me. I'd have walked out. I've got to hand it to you, you definitely handled it better than I would have.
ReplyDelete